Monday 29 September 2014

Challenge No.1 - Black Agate Nuggets

I have completed my challenge!!!  Yay!  I won't lie to you, it was a little bit difficult at first.  The nuggets weren't a favourite of mine (they still aren't) so I was stumped at what to do with them.  I think the process of making the jewellery took less time than figuring out what on earth to make with them, but I persevered and I now have 5 pieces of gemstone jewellery for my Christmas craft stall.

Here they are .......



I started by taking the beads off the strand and laying them out.  I then put them in groups according to size/shape.


I  played about with them in their groups hoping I could make some symmetrical pieces or a graduating necklace. I quickly decided to scrap both those ideas opting, instead, for the random sequence approach. I took to my scrap book and sketched this awfully drawn design below.

 


But now it's been brought to life, it looks like this .....


I teamed the nuggets with Hematite stars, black beading thread and dark silver coloured copper findings. The nuggets and beading thread are both from Jewellery Maker.  The rest were purchased from other jewellery making websites but unfortunately I can't remember which, sorry.




The bracelet then inspired me to make a matching necklace and earrings.  Here are the results....









I only had a small amount of nuggets left after making these three pieces and I hoped to make a ring to match the pieces above.  Unfortunately, after playing about for what felt like forever I concluded that the nuggets I had left just wouldn't sit right on a ring.  I was back to the drawing board again.  I tried to make a few different bracelets and earrings but with the inconsistent sizes and shapes it was difficult to get things to sit right.  Finally I made these earrings....






They were made with faceted Hematite beads bought from Jewellery Maker (which I NEED more of) and the same findings as the pieces above.  Using the last of my Hematite beads I made a matching bracelet ....




Despite banging my head against a brick wall for the first few hours after drawing the Agate nuggets, I've really enjoyed this challenge.  It forced me to work with a shape I would usually avoid.  The jewellery doesn't really represent my usual style or taste but I like each piece, my favourite being the first bracelet I made. 

Agate, is one of my favourite gemstones.  It comes in such a variety of colours and it is never just a plain bead.  There's always different tones and textures to be found.  You can see, above, that some of the beads have specks of white, grey and brown.  In some of the stones there are bands of brown or translucent areas that really catch the light. Beautiful. 



Brief Description of Agate.

The majority of Agate developed in ancient volcanic lava.  It is a form of Chalcedony which develops when water, containing silica, enters a cavity inside a host rock .  The minerals in the water then crystallize, forming layer upon layer of silicon dioxide. 

In crystal healing, Agate is believed to enhance mental functioning, such as concentration and analytical abilities.  It is also believed to be a calming stone that builds confidence and reduces anxiety.

No comments:

Post a Comment