Monday 16 June 2014

How I got in to Jewellery Making - A Trip to Amsterdam

JUNE 2014 - Just found this post in my drafts from over a year ago!!  Can't believe I forgot to post it.  Well, better late than never!!

MAY 2013 -  Again, some terrible blogging from me.  So much for keeping on top of it, but in my defense I do have three posts planned, so hopefully I'll get better.

I thought with this post I'd tell you a little bit about how I got into jewellery making, rather than showcase my items.

Now I know what you're thinking, "What's a trip to Amsterdam got to do with starting to make jewellery?".  

Well 3 years ago I visited Amsterdam with friends and I found, in my guide book, details of a shop, called Beadies, where you could make your own jewellery. It enticed me with promises of thousands upon thousands of beautiful beads, charms and chains.  Instantly it was on my wishlist of things to see and do while in Amsterdam.  When I finally made it there after a lot of walking and getting lost I was not disappointed.  I was however overwhelmed and I just could not decide what to make.  After filling my bead board multiple times I decided it was obviously something I wanted to try out on a bigger scale, so I put everything back and promised myself I would hit ebay for supplies when I got home.  It took me a year after that to actually get around to buying supplies and it all started with a few simple pendants and waxed black cotton cord, but quite quickly progressed to the studio full of beads, charms, cords, findings, gems, resin, clay, etc I have now.


On a second trip to Amsterdam I went back to the little store to purchase something and take this picture.  It was still as amazing as the first time.  Colour coordinated draws of beads, bowls upon bowls of charms and yards upon yards of stringing materials.  It is a jewellery makers dream.  I only wish my crafting room looked like the inside of this shop.  I hope one day it will.

Thanks for inspiring me, Beadies.

No comments:

Post a Comment