Wednesday 25 June 2014

Quilling

So as you know I'm living in Vietnam at the moment and didn't bring my jewellery making stuff with me. Supplies can be purchased here but it involves walking around a packed market, a lot of haggling and dealing with the language barrier.  So I put it off and put it off some more and now I'm leaving in three weeks.  However, I didn't completely give up on creating things while being here.  In fact I've learnt two new skills: crocheting and quilling.  Crocheting is something I think everyone has heard of.  I'd been tempted by it a few times before and I can already knit.  However, quilling was something I had never heard of, until I saw this card in a tourist shop in the backpacker's area of Saigon:


On the back there is a brief history and description of quilling.  I read it and thought I can do that.


So off I went to the stationary shop in search of some coloured paper, a craft knife and glue.  I planned to use a cocktail stick instead of a quilling needle as I had little hope of finding one.  Within seconds of walking into the shop I had found a basket full of packets of pre-cut strips of paper, labelled quilling.  At this point I though if they are selling the paper they might just have a needle.  After a quick miming act, the sales assistant knew exactly what I was after and low and behold they had some.  I exited the shop with a needle, pre-cut strips and glue.  A new hobby all for less than £3!!


Watch this space for some quilling creations!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment